2016 - 2017

2016 - 2017

Sunday, October 26, 2008

£32 Million Buys You A Robinho Hat-trick And Three Points


The match set off at a fast tempo with Man City looking the more penetrative.£32million Brazilian striker Robinho showed his value to his team,netting in the 14th minute, from Evans pass

Stoke, however did not look out of their depth,coming into the game increasingly as the half progressed.Ricardo Fuller (pic) had a tremendous shot turned away by the diving Hart after a defensive mistake.On 35 minutes a Soares free kick from the right was headed firmly on goal by Ryan Shawcross.Keeper Hart managed to fumble the ball away for a corner.At the close o the half a sweet Stoke passing move concluded with Sidibe putting Fuller through on goal,but unfortunately he blazed carelessly over the bar.

Robinho put the home side further ahead 2 minutes after the break,following sub Sturridge's surging run and slotted pass. On 58 minutes Sorensen finger tipped away another effort from Robinho.Stoke,again to their credit,were doing their best to get back into the game.Salif Diao put in a powerful shot from distance which was tipped over the bar by Hart.On 63 minutes Sorensen made a save from Robinho from point blank range following Wright-Phillips clever reverse pass.

Fuller then managed one of his trademark goal line wriggles,cutting the ball back to Soares who saw his shot from close in go to the wrong side of the goal post.Sidibe was replaced by sub Kitson.Fuller won a corner in the 68th minute,which saw Soares kick headed just over the bar by Kitson.On 71 minutes Sturridge again turned provider ,cutting the ball across the Stoke penalty area to the incoming Robinho,who had little trouble completing his hat-trick,placing the ball inside Sorensen's left hand post.

Three minutes later it could have got worse when Wright-Phillips was played onside by Griffin.One on one, his effort was smothered by the excellent Sorensen.As Manchester went through the motions Stoke themselves had one or two chances. Kitson had a header saved on the line,and Whelan,on for Diao,shot over the bar.Right at the death there was still time for Man City to add to their tally,but Ireland,in on goal and with only the keeper to beat,put the ball over the bar.

So on to next week with Sunderland then Arsenal at The Brit.....

No comments: